Posts for: September, 2018
Preventive dentistry and your at-home hygiene work together to achieve and maintain your best oral health. That's right. You and your family dentists in Ormond Beach, FL--Dr. Brian Yoon and Dr. Florence Yoon, partner in keeping teeth and gums clean and in looking for and preventing potential problems. No matter your age, you need the vigilance and diligence in-office and home care give your teeth and gums.
What happens at home
Patients of all ages have the following responsibilities in caring for their oral health:
- Eat a healthy diet which is low in sugar and high in lean protein, whole grains, fruits and vegetables.
- Brush twice a day with a quality fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Floss once a day with a flossing product you'll actually use consistently. Flossing removes bacteria-filled plaque and tartar and aids toothbrushing in combating decay and periodontal disease.
- Wear a mouth guard for sports and if you are a tooth grinder (bruxism).
- Be alert to changes in soft tissue and in how your teeth look, feel and bite together.
- Make routine semi-annual appointments at Yoon Dentistry.
What happens at the office
Examinations, X-rays and cleanings begin in toddlerhood and continue through the senior years. Your dental hygienist also scales your teeth, eliminating the plaque and tartar which you cannot remove at home. Your hygienist checks for gum disease and reports any issues to Dr. Yoon.
During your check-up, Dr. Yoon looks for signs of decay, gum disease, oral cancer and deteriorating restorations. Your Ormond Beach family dentist also looks at your dental bite. As the American Academy of Periodontology advises, older teens and adults receive a periodontal examination, and the team tracks gum pocket depth, an indicator of gum health.
Finally, Dr. Yoon creates a treatment plan unique to patient needs and diagnostic findings. The dentist makes recommendations regarding the frequency of routine examinations and cleanings, outlines needed restorations and incorporates suggestions for cosmetic improvements. Plastic sealants often appear on treatment plans for children as an extra protection against tooth decay.
Working together toward great smiles
At Yoon Dentistry, we care for families just as if they were our own. Find out more about preventive dentistry and how it is the foundation of healthy teeth and gums. For your semi-annual appointment, please call our office at (386) 672-2828.