If you have redness or swelling of the gums or your gums easily bleed when brushing, you could be dealing with gum disease. Left untreated, gum disease could eventually lead to tooth loss. If you do have gum disease, treatments are available that can help restore the health of your gums. Yoon Dentistry in Ormond Beach is your family dentistry practice for the treatment of gum disease. Dr. Brian Yoon D.D.S., M.A.G.D. could develop a treatment plan for you.
Cause of Gum Disease
Gum disease develops when the plaque that forms on teeth is not cleared away. Bacteria on plaque forms acids that break down both enamel and damage healthy gum tissue, which can lead to tooth decay and gum disease. Plaque is not easily removed. Regular brushing and flossing at home are not necessarily sufficient to clear away all plaque. The best way to completely remove plaque, and also reduce your risk for developing gum disease, is to schedule regular dental cleanings.
Symptoms of Gum Disease
Gum disease does not always produce obvious symptoms, which is why it is important to see a dentist regularly. Dental professionals can spot the early warning signs of gum disease that you might miss. The sooner gum disease is diagnosed, the sooner treatment can begin to stop the disease from spreading and restore gum health.
Many individuals who develop gum disease do experience various symptoms. See a dentist as soon as possible if you develop any of the symptoms associated with gum disease. Symptoms include:
- Red, swollen or tender gums
- Gums that bleed easily when brushing
- Loose or missing teeth
- Chronic bad breath
- Receding gums
- A periodontal abscess
Treatment for Gum Disease
At our family dentistry practice in Ormond Beach, several options are available for treating gum disease. We can recommend specific treatments based on the severity of the disease and how it has affected the gums or teeth. Methods for treating gum disease and its side effects include:
- Antibiotics or Antimicrobials — Used to disinfect difficult to reach areas infected by bacteria.
- Cosmetic Gum Surgery — A procedure for reshaping damaged, misshaped, or receding gums.
- Gum Grafting —The replacement of missing or damaged gum tissue by grafting healthy tissue from another area of the mouth.
- Scaling or Root Planing — A method for cleaning the teeth deep below the gum line and smoothing tooth-root surfaces, which helps create a smooth, clean surface for the gums to reattach to the teeth.
- Periodontal Flap Surgery — A method for cleaning bacteria-filled “pockets” that have formed below the gum line and reattaching gum tissue to the teeth after scaling and root planing.
If you are dealing with gum disease, we can help. The sooner you seek treatment, the sooner the health of your gums can be restored. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Brian Yoon D.D.S., M.A.G.D., call Yoon Dentistry, our family dentistry practice in Ormond Beach, at (386) 672-2828.